Fascinating! Can you "unpack" (heh) that error for us mere mortals? In
particular:

- never seen that "or" syntax before... Is it coercing both expressions as
bool, or is it evaluating to left if bool(left) evaluates to True, else to
right?
- Why do you expect the second expression to work? Is ** supposed to have
lower preference than "or"? (Which seems weird to me.)

Thanks!

Juan.