Hi Derek,
happy to see you use it, here is windrose0.5 with some improvments :-)

> * do not outline the colors in black; its hard to see smaller/shorter
> lines
Done

> * the % labels need either to go along a vector NOT used to draw data,
> or
> be drawn last (on top of data); or a combination of both
Now "%" is set with the external label. I don't find how to set labels (and
grids) above patches, ax.set_axisbelow(False) doesn't work :-( But for the
moment you can use labangle parameter to move the labels.

> * the 0.0% label can probably be omitted from the centre
> * drawing a title("") on the plot is still problematic (it overwrites
> the "N" in some cases)
0.0 is not longer draw

> * default background color should be white
Hum, everybody can set it directly from matplotlibrc or creating an polar axis
before.

> * a legend title will *very* useful
Waiting for polar axes legend improvments :-)

> And a question - is it possible to restrict the plot to a portion of
> the area;
> say to the left, with a "rectangle" of the space available to the
> right; or
> up to the top, with a "rectangle" of the space available to the
> bottom.
> Plots often have to annotated and its useful to have some working
> space
> to do this.
Don't know if I really understand what you want, but why don't you use subplot
to split your figures?

> Thanks for all the good work!
> Derek

>PS Does anyone else using this program get the strange "[" and "]"
>signs around the data ranges in the legend - how can this be turned off?
You're the first saying you use it :-)
Maybe differents progs versions. I use:
|datas|[42]>matplotlib.__version__
   Out [42]:'0.87.5'