Russell E Owen wrote:
> It turns out my wx-config was in:
> /usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.7.1.3/lib/wx/config/mac-unicode-debug-2.7
> not a location I'd ever have expected or would want to add to my $PATH
> (and not easy to find -- I had to use a special file finding utility to
> find it).
>
> No wonder I was having problems!
>
> Do you know who produced the wxPython installer package?

Robin Dunn builds those himself.

> If so, please
> tell me or feel free to forward this message (edited as you see fit). I
> want to suggest they put links to binaries in one of:
> - /usr/local/bin
> - /Library/Frameworks/Python.../bin
>
> I think the former is the right choice if the associated wx C++
> libraries (as installed by wxPython) are accessible to C++ users.

They are really intended to be used specifically by wxPython. Often they
are slightly different versions. I now when I've used wx for C++, I've
used different libs.

> Otherwise if it's really a python-private sort of thing then it should
> probably be the latter.

I think so. But there is a problem there, too. As I mentioned, you can
have different versions of wxPython installed at once, so which one
would put it's wx-config there?

Also, /Library/Frameworks/Python.../bin is the default locations for
binaries on OS-X, set by dist-utils. On other systems, it's set to
/usr/local, or who knows? In that case, putting wx-config there could
clash with both C++ wx installations, and wxPythons used for different
versions of python -- there's just no easy way. At least this way, when
you pick that wx-config, you KNOW you've got the one you want.

As far as MPL is concerned, we could write a little code that would
search for the default wxPython, and find wx-config there.

However, the better solution is really to get rid of the compile-time
dependence on wx -- that's a problem anyway. For instance, I'm not sure
we should make the pythonmac binary depend on wxPython 2.7 -- that is a
development version -- 2.6.3 may be a better choice.

If only we all didn't have other things to do...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]