    David> In make_image, most of the time is taken into to_rgba:
    David> almost half of it is taken in by the take call in the
    David> Colormap.__call__. Almost 200 ms to get colors from the
    David> indexes seems quite a lot (this means 280 cycles / pixel on
    David> average !). I can reproduce this number by using a small
    David> numpy test.

    David> On my laptop (pentium M, 1.2 Ghz), make_image takes almost
    David> 85 % of the time, which seems to imply that this is where
    David> one should focus if one wants to improve the speed,

This may have been lost in the longer thread above, but what
interpolation are you using?  You may see a good performance boost by
using interpolation='nearest'.  Also, with your clip changes and with
Eric's changes is it still painfully slow for you -- how much have
these changes helped?  Of time time spent in make image, how much is
_image.fromarray, ScalarMappable.to_rgba and _image.resize?