Eric Firing wrote:
> This is the big difference between most pylab functions and the
> corresponding axes or figure methods that they wrap: the pylab functions
> automatically take care of redrawing the figure if you are in an
> interactive mode.

Now I feel bad -- I think I encouraged Belinda to work with the OO
interface, because I think it's the better way to go, and, in
particular, translates better to putting MPL code in larger programs.

However, it is the case that there is a lot of stuff in pylab that makes
it easier to use MPL in interactive mode. I kind of think that's a
shame. I don't think that there is any reason that an OO interface is
less suited to interactive mode.

I've thought for a while that I'd love to write a "OOlab" module -- that
is, an object oriented interface to matplotlib that is well suited to
interactive use.

However,

1) who know when I'll get around to it, and I haven't yet because I
hardly ever do much interactively anyway (I didn't with Matlab, either).

2) this is an example of how it's hard to do -- a method like
Figure.Clear() clearly belongs just where it is in an OO framework.
Would it be possible for all those OO drawing methods to be able to
query an "interactive" property somewhere? Does it live only in pylab now?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]