First,

Please don't cross-post quite so much. I've only sent this to the
matplotlib list. Maybe the scipy-users would be better, but I'm not on
that one.

First:
What you want to do really is hard. One of the reasons is that each app
is going to have its own "simple" needs. Also, GUIS really do take a lot
of work. I've written simple command line scripts, then found wrapping a
GUI around them takes three times as long to write as the scripts took
in the first place. Yes, it could be easier, but it's always going to be
a lot of work.

Second:
Matlab is an expensive, proprietary application, thus, if you don't
build a stand-alone, your users need to buy Matlab to use your code.
Python/scipy/numpy/mpl are all freely re-distributable, so you don't'
have that problem. Maybe your users don't really need a stand-alone, but
rather need an easy to install and use environment for running your
code, command line and all.

Granted, there is no such complete package available at this point but
there are efforts to make then, and you could also build your own. The
Enthought build is good for Windows. Also be sure to check out qme-dev:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qme-dev/

It's not complete yet, but looks pretty promising.

There are also efforts afoot to make it a bit easier to use py2exe,
py2app, etc. for building stand-alones.

If you really do want to build a stand-alone GUI tool, there are a lot
of ways to make really full-featured GUIs, though you're right, it takes
quite a bit of work. Given the state of affairs right now, I'd take a
look at Dabo (it's not just for database apps):

http://dabodev.com/

or PythonCard

http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

And figure out how to integrate MPL with them (probably with wxMPL).

Both of these projects seek to make it easier to build GUIs with
wxPython, which I think is the best choice for cross-platform GUIs.
Dabo, in particular, is oriented toward data-aware widgets, which could
be a very good match for small scientific computation tools.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]