I don't know how to do it with the MPL agg back-end, but I think you
mentioned wx, and you can do it there instead. a wxImage can be
constructed from a buffer object, then saved as a PNG. You may need to
set the rgb and alpha portions separately. See the wxPython wiki and
search for "Image".

Also:

>             matrix = []
>             buffer = self.get_renderer().tostring_argb()
>             l, h = self.GetSize()
>             for ligne in xrange(h):
>                 matrix.append([])
>                 for colonne in xrange(l):
>                     i = 4*(ligne*h + colonne)
>                     pixel = buffer[i:i+4]
>                     matrix[-1].append(pixel)

This is a very slow way to create the numpy array!

Option a: first create an empty array:

matrix = numpy.empty((l,h,4), numpy.byte)

then fill that in. but even better:

you can build the array directly from the buffer string:

matrix = numpy.fromstring(buffer, dtype=numpy.byte)
lotlib-users

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]