I primarily follow the dev list, but you've caught my eye. ;)

So to be clear, you would just like me to install some other tcl/tk
before I do the "official" matplotlib osx binaries.  What package
should I be installing and where should I get it from.  As long as it
still works with the bundled tck/tk I would have no problems doing
this.

Thanks,
- Charlie