Hello all,

I am trying to get a setup where I can have an interactive environment
and output to PDF files as needed.  I currently have this setup
working in OS X 10.5 without problems.  However, I cannot get a
similar setup working on linux.  The best I have been able to do is by
using GTKCairo but it has a problem with rendering numbers in math
mode. Specifically when I put a number, say "-3.1415", into a string
the decimal is converted to a : and the "-" is turned into an "i".
Below is an example that gives this error:
import numpy
from pylab import *
x = numpy.arange(1,100,1)
e1=-1.8
e2=-2.1
y = x**2
z = x**-2
f = figure(num=1)
f.clear()
ax = f.add_subplot(111)
p = ax.plot(x,y)
p1 = ax.plot(x,z)
title('This works -2.1 but this doesnot $-2.1$')
legend((p[0],p1[0]),(r'$x^{%.2g}$'%(e1),r'$x^{%.2g}$'%(e2)))
draw()
savefig('test.pdf')

The output looks fine in GTKAgg but then I get an error on glib.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it working?

Regards,
Brian