David.Goldsmith wrote:
> You say you tried wx but don't mention wxmpl explicitly - did you try
> wxmpl (http://agni.phys.iit.edu/~kmcivor/wxmpl/)?

good choice -- the other is to follow the "embedded_in_***" examples --
where are they?  A quick googling didn't find them!

>> all attempts to control or modify input to
>> Matplotlib from a GUI (Tkinter, Wx, Jython, PyGTK etc.) have proved
>> fruitless due to seeming incompatibility between these modules,

I'm guessing that you're using the pylab interface -- pylab manages the
GUI for you -- which is great if you're doing simple interactive
plotting, but will not work if you are embedding MPL in a gui -- you
need to use the OO interface instead -- see the embedded_in_*** examples.

>> particularly
>> when one distributes any finished product to another platform.

This is no harder than with JAVA -- easier I think -- you can completely
control the environment if you want -- see py2exe, pyInstaller, py2app, etc.

 >> I return to my Java roots where I can easily solve all GUI
>> problems

Once you get the hang of Python, I think you'll find that you can solve
your GUI problems even more easily! I'm partial to wxPython, but pyQT
and pyGTK have their strengths also.

As a JAVA coder, I recommend you read:

http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]