Eric Firing wrote:
> It sounds like what you want it the pyplot figlegend command:
> def figlegend(handles, labels, loc, **kwargs):

This feels like what I should be wanting except:

- why does it need explicit parameters? why can't it pick up its lines
and labels automatically, like legend does?

- it places the legend over the top of the current chart, I want it to
the right, so it doesn't obscure the information on the chart...

> or you could directly use the Figure.legend method.

How does this differ from the normal legend command?
How do I get hold of a figure to call its legend method?
How does figure.legend interact with subplots?

I have a bout 6 subplots on the same figure(?) and they each need to
have a legend which is not obscuring the data plotted and isn't
obscuring any other figure...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk