Chee Sing Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to matplotlib, so please bear with me.
>
> I am writing an application that includes a hexagonally binned scatter
> plot that updates periodically, up to a couple times a second. My
> current approach is clearing axes.collections, calling hexbin() with
> the updated data, and then calling canvas.draw(). It works, but it is
> entirely too slow. I would like to implement the blitting animation
> technique shown in the matplotlib cookbook, but the collection object
> returned by hexbin() doesn't seem to have any sort of set_data method
> to update the data. Any suggestions?

My guess is that the entire hexbin method is fundamentally slow.  Among
other things, it is looping through all input values in python.  In
addition, the rendering, using a poly collection, is similar to pcolor,
and that is also slow when the number of polygons is large.  Profiling a
run of hexbin might show whether there are obvious opportunities to
speed it up.

Eric