the vertex list should just be a list of two element tuples... which are the XY
positions of the verticies..
For example here is a function I used to split up individual closed contours:
--------------------------
def split_features(vertex_list):
 #This function takes a list of verticies and breaks
 #it into a list of shapes (ie a list of list of verticies)
 #splits occur where a lon or lat jump of greater than 2 degrees
 # is found... and given that most contouring algorithums
 #work across the x-cord and our resolution is 1 degree this works..
 jump_loc=[0]
 for i in range(len(vertex_list)-1):
  lon_jump=vertex_list[i+1][0]-vertex_list[i][0]
  lat_jump=vertex_list[i+1][1]-vertex_list[i][1]
  if (abs(lon_jump) > 2.0) or (abs(lat_jump) > 2.0):
   jump_loc.append(i+1)

 jump_loc.append(len(vertex_list)-1)
 print jump_loc
 shapes=[]
 for i in range(len(jump_loc)-1):
  shapes.append(vertex_list[jump_loc[i]:jump_loc[i+1]])
 return shapes
------------------

Dr Scott Collis
Postdoctoral Researcher
Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research (CAWCR)
Atmosphere and Land Observation and Assessment Group
Australian Bureau of Meteorology Room 9.57 Level 9 700 Collins Street Docklands
3008
Desk: (+613) 96694766
MB: 0412177550
http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc/wefor/staff/scollis/