Hi Everyone,

Looks like I may have run into a bug for the contourf function. I was
able to reproduce the problem on two OS X systems. One was based on
10.5 and the other was on 10.4. The problem appears when you use
contourf with alpha < 1. With the transparency there appears to be
streaks of lines pointing downward from the contour lines. Is this a
bug that has been spotted before? Additional information is provided
below with a python script to reproduce the problem.

Note, this bug was reproduced with a range of different parameters and
input values. The script is the easiest way to reproduce the problem.

Cheers,

Eli

Mac OSX Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0  (Leopard 10.5.5)

Matplotlib version: 0.98.3

Matplotlib was installed via EPD, version Py2.5 4.1.30101 i386

Code to show bug:
Most of the python code was borrowed from the Matplotlib examples
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/contour_demo.html?highlight=contours

###### Begin Python Code #######
import matplotlib
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.cm as cm
import matplotlib.mlab as mlab
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

delta = 0.025
x = np.arange(-3.0, 3.0, delta)
y = np.arange(-2.0, 2.0, delta)
X, Y = np.meshgrid(x, y)
Z1 = mlab.bivariate_normal(X, Y, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0)
Z2 = mlab.bivariate_normal(X, Y, 1.5, 0.5, 1, 1)
Z = 10.0 * (Z2 - Z1)

plt.figure()
CS = plt.contourf(X, Y, Z,alpha = 0.7)
###### End Python Code #######