On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Ryan May <rma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:55 AM, coati <dwki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  I have a problem with show() command in my macbook machine (Leopard
>> 10.5.8).
>> For example, if I run the script shown below
>> (let assume it is saved as 'test.py', and I run a command 'python
>> test.py'),
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>>
>> plot([1,2,3,4,5])
>> show() #first window
>> plot([1,2,3,4,5])
>> show() #second window
>> plot([1,2,3,4,5])
>> show() #third window
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>>
>> Then the first window just pops up and I can see a beautiful straight line
>> :) No problem so far.
>> But, after I close the first window by clicking the close button of the
>> window,
>> other two window (second and third) just pops up and close themselves
>> instantly
>> even though I didn't click the close button...
>> Also, the second and third plot is shown in the same window.
>>
>> I don't have such problem in my Ubuntu machine..
>>
>> Does anybody know reasons?
>

> show() actually handles starting the GUI mainloop, so you really shouldn't
> be calling it more than once from a script.  Quite frankly, it's more
> amazing that it works on your Ubuntu macine. :)  If you're wanting 3
> separate windows, try:
>
> plot([1,2,3,4,5])
> figure()
> plot([1,2,3,4,5])
> figure()
> plot([1,2,3,4,5])
> show()
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> Ryan May
> Graduate Research Assistant
> School of Meteorology
> University of Oklahoma

Thanks Ryan,

Hm.. it's a bit strange.. I just installed matplotlib at Ubuntu using the
package manager :)
And, another linux machines (red hat enterprise) can do this too. For the
RHELs, I compiled matplotlib source code by myself.

figure() works very well, but what I want to do is to check the plots one by
one and thus
I can exit the script at any time I want (because I usually have lots of
figures to check and I don't want
to pop up every of them at the same time..)

Anyway, thank you very much!