Samuel,

Fortunately, matplotlib keeps all of the files that it compiles with the
python files that it installs.  On Ubuntu, I believe that the installation
directory was /usr/lib/python2.?/dist-packages/matplotlib* (note, I don't
remember the exact version of python and the exact name of the matplotlib
directory).  If you remove that matplotlib directory and the corresponding
matplotlib egg info file that is also in the dist-packages directory, that
should get everything with respect to matplotlib.

Also, if you use basemap, remember that it is installed separately from
matplotlib and it would also have to be removed in a similar manner, if you
needed it removed.

I hope that is helpful.

Ben Root