Yes, I believe so.  I believe it is possible to create the axes with
navigation  disabled so that their callbacks are never connected.  Then, you
can use the same callback system to trigger the axes pan and zoom on your
own controls.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/event_handling.html
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/api/axes_api.html

(particularly about disconnect() and drag_pan() and friends).

Maybe someone else knows of an example?

Ben Root