After some playing I have discovered that putting maplotlib.rc('text.latex',
preamble='\usepackage{amsmath},\usepackage{amssymb}') fixes the issue of text
rendering. However, when putting this value in the ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc
file, I get the same error saying that \mathbb is undefined. Any ideas?

Regards,
-- Damon

Damon McDougall
Mathematics Institute