I have tried to produce a very simple plot with my recent installation of matplotlib (1.0.0 64-bit) and numpy (1.5.0 64-bit) using the following code (taken from the matplotlib tutorial material).

*import matplotlib
import numpy
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

print matplotlib.__version__
print numpy.__version__

plt.plot([1,2,3,4])
plt.ylabel('some numbers')
plt.show()*

If I execute this in Windows 7 (64-bit) it works correctly. If I execute this in Windows Vista (32-bit) it works correctly. If I execute this in Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit the versions are printed out correctly and thus I believe that the packages are being imported; but, /no plot is produced!/

Why not?