On 09/22/2010 10:11 AM, Russell Owen wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Russell E. Owen <ro...@uw.edu
>> <mailto:ro...@uw.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     In article <4c935c08.1000...@gmail.com
>>     <mailto:4c935c08.1000...@gmail.com>>,
>>     Alan G Isaac <alan.is...@gmail.com <mailto:alan.is...@gmail.com>>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>     >

>> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/accented_text.html
>>
>>     It's realistic, and that has a lot to be said for it.
>>
>>     One of my problems with matplotlib is that it is far too willing to
>>     truncate axis labels and related information. I'd be much happier
>>     with a
>>     layout model that always showed the axis labels in full.
>>

>> Ditto on this. In addition, it would be useful to prevent axes labels
>> from spilling over into another axes' area.
>
> I submitted bug report #3073546 on the issue of axis labels getting
> truncated.
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=560720&aid=3073546&group_id=80706
> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=560720&aid=3073546&group_id=80706>
>
> You might want to add your suggestion about axis labels or submit a new
> ticket.

The problem is not a bug; it is inherent in the fundamental design.
Therefore I moved the ticket over to feature requests.  I want to keep
the bugs list for real bugs that we can realistically expect to solve
fairly quickly.

I don't know whether Andrew Straw's wx sizer-inspired code (mplsizer
toolkit) solves the problem or not.  My impression is that it does
not--I think it is working with the Axes positions, not with axis and
tick labels, which are what cause most of the difficulties.

Eric