On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Erik Tollerud <erik.tolle...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I've noticed some odd behavior in the mplot3d toolkit when using
> scatter3D with plot_surface.  What I want to do is generate the
> surface with an alpha level of 0.5, such that any points that are
> between me and the surface should come out fully opaque, and any
> points behind the surface should be rendered blended with the surface.
>  Instead, the scattered points are blended with the surface regardless
> of whether they are in front of it or behind.  There's also a weird
> behavior where, depending on the viewing angle, the points will
> suddenly snap from fully opaque (even if behind the surface) to
> transparent.  An example is attached, with renderings of the two
> states in the URLs below.
>
> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8683962/mpl3dalpha-1.png
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8683962/mpl3dalpha-2.png
>
> --
> Erik Tollerud

At first glance, I wonder if this is just because of mplot3d's naive
approach of figuring out what is behind other things.  mplot3d doesn't do
any sort of physics or ray-tracing to figure out how elements are positioned
relative to the camera.  Try it again with perfectly opaque surface and
dots, and I bet you will have dots "magically" appearing in front of the
surface at certain viewing angles and then disappearing.

Note, I have only looked at the photos, not the code.

Ben Root