On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM, John <washa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any good tutorials or examples that people could point me to on
> creating a netcdf file for a grid projected with a stereographic
> projection? It's not clear to me how you would create the lat / lon
> dimensions.
>
> Thanks,
> john

Be careful of saying "irregular" grid when what you really mean is
non-rectilinear.  If the data can be represented in a matrix, then chances
are it is regular in some way.

There are a number of schemes for how to organize your data in netcdf.  One
way I have seen  is to represent the data in a 1D array and then have
parallel arrays of lat and lon coordinates.  This works no matter how
irregular the data grid is (particularly nice with sparse data).

If the data can be represented in a regular grid, then you can represent the
data in 2D in the netcdf file, and have parallel arrays of 2-D lat and lon
arrays.  The key point of these two methods is that you would have all three
arrays use an index (or two) as the common dimension.

Does that help?

Ben Root