On 13 Jan 2011, at 5:50 AM, Michael Droettboom wrote:

> Can you provide a simple LaTeX document that illustrates the problem
> with psfrag?  This is still compliant Postscript, AFAICT.

It is not a postscript compliance issue, but rather a requirement of
the psfrag package which relys on searching for complete strings of
the form "(...) show" for replacement.

Here is a simple example.  Prior to this change, matplotlib would
output the entire string "(0) show", "(1) show" and "(Np) show".  The
psfrag package replaces these with typeset versions of "zero", "one"
and "$N_+$ in whatever font, size, etc. is active in the LaTeX file
(providing an exact match with the surrounding text).

The new version of matplotlib has instead the individual characters
followed by glyphshow: "/zero glyphshow" etc. and psfrag can no-longer
locate the appropriate strings and replace them.  Please provide a way
for users to revert to the old behaviour of outputing the complete
string rather than one glyph at a time as some of us use psfrag
extensively for publication-quality figures.

% import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
% plt.plot([0,1],[0,1])
% plt.xticks([0,1], ['0', '1'])
% plt.xlabel(r'Np')
% savefig('bad.eps')
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{psfrag}
\begin{document}
\psfrag{0}{zero}
\psfrag{1}{one}
\psfrag{Np}{$N_+$}
\includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{bad.eps}
\end{document}