On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:
> Most things, we do know the sizes of.  It is my understanding that it is the
> text objects that is the unknown.  If this could be solved, then a layout
> engine would be much more feasible.

I doubt it. As far as I know, the main reason that things needed to be
drawn is because the location and size of some artist depends on
location and size of other artists.
Unfortunately, with current matplotlib code, most of these things are
determined inside the "draw" method. Therefore, we need to separate
out those things out from the draw method.

Another option, which I think is more feasible, is to implement a
BBoxRenderer which does not draw anything but only update the size and
location of artists.

Regards,

-JJ