On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Damon McDougall
<d.mcdoug...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I am able to run the tex_demo.py with no problems and I can create
>
> output files using the Agg backend.  When I try to use the PDF
>
> backend, however, I get an error which stems from dviread.py (pasted
>
> below).  Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> How did you install matplotlib? From source yourself?
>
> No, I'm using the Enthought Python Distribution (EPD64).
>
> And when you installed matplotlib, did it see that you had dvipng installed?
> FYI, you can do
> which dvipng
> to return the path where dvipng lives (if it is in your path already) or you
> can do
> locate dvipng
> to do a search for the binary if it isn't already in your path.
> P.S. You forgot to reply-all so everyone can see your response.

$ which dvipng
/usr/texbin/dvipng

I don't remember any complaints while running the EPD installer.
Would there be a way to check this?  Is the problem definitely related
to an inability to find dvipng, or could there be other possibilities?

Thanks,
Jeff