How can I make a 3D plot without showing the axes?

When plotting a 3d plot, Matplotlib not only draws the x, y, and z
axes, it also draws light gray grids on the x-y, y-z, and x-z planes.
I would like to draw a "free-floating" 3D graph, with none of these
elements. My matplotlib.__version__ is 1.0.1.

Stuff I've tried:

# Doesn't work; this hides the plot, not the axes
my_3d_axes.set_visible(False)

# Doesn't do anything. Also, there's no get_zaxis() function.
my_3d_axes.get_xaxis().set_visible(False)
my_3d_axes.get_yaxis().set_visible(False)

-- Matt