On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 6:10 AM, John Ladasky
<john_lada...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> But that isn't my goal here.  I want to add lines to the FIGURE, outside
> of any Axes.  Does anyone know how to accomplish this?  Thanks!

Not sure what you mean here.
Adding a patch to an axes does not mean it cannot be drawn outside of
axes. As far as you set (or unset) proper clip box, artists can be
drawn anywhere in the canvas regardless of the axes it belongs to.
Here is an example,

Regards,

-JJ

ax = subplot(111)

from matplotlib.patches import FancyArrow
p = FancyArrow(0.05, 0.5, 0.2, 0.0, width=0.01,
               length_includes_head=False,
               head_width=None, head_length=None,
               shape='full', overhang=0,
               head_starts_at_zero=False,