Let me first say that I appreciate the work that the developers have put into
matplotlib.  You're doing a great job.

I have filed a bug report at

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/533

wherein I post the following

Consider:

from pylab import *
x = arange(0,1,.01)
y = x**2
fig = figure(2)
ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
errorbar(x,y,yerr=x/10.,label='$x^2$')
errorbar(x,y**3,yerr=x/10.,label='$x^6$')
legend(loc='upper center')
h,l = ax.get_legend_handles_labels()
fig.legend(h,l,loc='lower right')

I am getting the right legend for the axes based legend, but the figure based
legend seems to be using the different parts of the errorbar for subsequent
handles, instead of using them as a group.  From what I can tell, this has
appeared since the upgrade to version 1.1.0.

I am running on Linux, python 2.7, gtkAgg backend.

Thanks,
Sterling