I just opened a pull request that implements the requested feature.

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/655

If you're familiar with Git, please test it and see if it works for your need.
I believe I will merge this PR to the master branch in a few days
unless there is any objection.

Regards,

-JJ