On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:47 AM, Pål Gunnar Ellingsen <paa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I understand that it would be hard to implement, as it requires that all
> the points are checked, which for a arbitrary plot is not easy.
> Though is this not what is already done for the normal autoscale, or have
> I misunderstood how the normal autoscale is done?
>
> I would like to have this as a new feature, as it would prove useful for
> analysing graphs, especially in scientific research.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Pål

Pal,

Normal autoscaling (when aspect is None, which is default) means to display
all the data that has been plotted.  This is possible because the plotting
functions (which were given the data as input) updates the limits of the
"known data bounding box" for the axes.  This data is not stored except
within each artist object, in their own form. It becomes difficult to then
"re-query" that data in the general case.  It isn't to say that it isn't
possible to do, just that the architecture isn't set up to query subsets of
collections.

I hope this is clearer,
Ben Root