On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM, José Alexandre Nalon <na...@terra.com.br>wrote:

> Hello,
>

>  Feel free to add a feature request to github.  I know I already have a
>> long list there, but in a few weeks I should be able to hack at them
>> again and that list is what will help me remember what needs to be done.
>>
>> Oh, and of course, patches are always welcomed!  Even if it is
>> incomplete, I could take it as a starting point and clean it up.
>>

> Ben, thanks for your answer. I don't have experience enough with a
> project with the size of matplotlib to put my hands in it without
> guidance; however, if you are willing to help me through the process,
> I can try to make a patch, and I might be able to help in the future.
>
> If you can direct me to a function you implemented that used the
> approach you suggested, I will try to understand the code and
> implement it. If it is good enough, I will submit a patch.
>
> Thanks again.

Jose,

Here is an example of how PolyCollection is converted into 3D:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/mplot3d/polys3d_demo.html

Of course, stem() doesn't create poly collections (I am actually not sure
what it creates), but it is likely that art3d has a converter for it.
Note, not all 2d collections and artists have converters.

Does that help?
Ben Root