Have a look at how cmocean (https://github.com/matplotlib/cmocean) works
under the hood.

I think the options are:
   - use a module to supply your color maps (from my_cmap_collection import
my_cmap) and then pass those objects through to the functions
   - have your module call the register code on import (or on calling a
helper function which call the registration code) so that you can simply
pass the string name through and `get_cmap` will do the right thing.

Tom