Looks like someone else figured out a creative solution using quiver:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19918502/sawtooth-line-style-in-matplotlib

Here it is (slightly cleaned up):

import matplotlib.pyplot as pltimport numpy as np

x = np.linspace(0, 2*np.pi, 100)
y = np.sin(x)

dx = np.diff(x)
dy = np.diff(y)

x2 = np.linspace(0, 2*np.pi, 10)
y2 = np.sin(x2)

dx = np.zeros_like(x2) + 1e-12
dy = np.sin(x2 + dx) - y2

length = np.hypot(dx, dy)
dx /= length
dy /= length

fig, ax = plt.subplots()
ax.set_aspect("equal")
ax.plot(x, y, lw=4)

size = 20
ax.quiver(x2, y2, -dy, dx, headaxislength=size, headlength=size,
headwidth=size, color="blue")
plt.margins(0.2)

I don't know yet how to get rounded heads, though. Now I am looking to see
how the text box styles of "sawtooth" and "roundtooth" are handled in the
code to see if that could be exploited, instead.

Cheers!
Ben Root