Indeed, it looks like there isn't a very good way to control all of the
properties of the frame portion of a legend. This could certainly use some
improvements, partly in allowing a dictionary of property values to be
passed in `plt.legend()` (there is already a dictionary of font
properties), but also to have some rcParams that could be made available,
too. Such improvements are always welcome!

Cheers!
Ben Root