Hi Shlomo,
The short answer is probably not, because progressiveMauve is unlikely
to scale to > 100 bacterial genomes. Might be ok for small viruses.
You might try the harvest tools by Todd Treangen & colleagues:
http://harvest.readthedocs.io/en/latest/content/parsnp/tutorial.html
It computes only a core genome alignment but that may be enough to
extract the phylogenetic signal of interest.
There are a range of read-mapping to reference genome based approaches
but I won't comment on those here.
Best,
-Aaron