Hi Uwe, this information might only be implicit in the documentation.
Despite its use of MUSCLE, progressiveMauve only computes DNA-level
genome alignments. I am not aware of any software to compute protein-
level genome alignments (though it's been a while since I looked
around), possibly because the concept of a positional homology genome
alignment becomes less useful at the high levels of evolutionary
divergence that would require a switch to amino acid alignment. For
pairwise genome alignment there is a protein mode in MUMmer. For
multiple genomes you might look at gene family clustering approaches.
-Aaron
On Wed, 2017-03-08 at 13:00 +0100, Uwe Menzel wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> as a newbie: how do I find out if progressiveMauve works on DNA or
> AA?
> The format specification provided is for DNA.
> On the other hand, Mauve uses Clustal and muscle alignment tools ...
>
> Thanks!

Aaron E. Darling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, ithree institute
University of Technology Sydney
Australia

http://darlinglab.org
twitter: @koadman

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate,
distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the
University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.