Right, I think that's the right approach.  You know, the creation of the
connection to the database can be handled through the current architecture
using the controller's constructor.  But to keep things symmetric, maybe
ModelLifetime could expose two methods: something like setup() and
teardown().  This notification on initialization and finalization would
make clear the tasks.  Thanks for your attention to this,

Best,
Dan

PS.  Have fun at Maxis.  I worked for a few years at Berkeley Systems,
which was a blast.  :-)