My .02 cents:
I, too, would like to see it facilitated by jakarta.
To me, jakarta carry's the opensource world's equivalent of the major
commercial guys stamp of approval.  Looking at the activity on this list it
doesn't appear to me that too many people are actively using Maverick and
probably for the same reason that I have which is the support from some
larger group, regardless of quality of the product.

Anthony