From: "Schnitzer, Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 2003-06-21
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Mav-user] Transforms and how they are implemented

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Just a question on how the transforms are implemented.  Will it
process
> the entire "wrapped" portion before outputting?  So say if you had a
very
> long page in the wrapped, woudl it process that before outputting
> anything?

Processing always occurs linearly along the pipeline.  The view is
processed, then the first transform, then the next transform, etc.*  In
the case of document aka wrapping transforms, the previous step is fully
executed and the output is buffered.  Then a String is made out of that
data, placed in the request attributes, and the transform document is
executed.

This means you should probably be careful about doing this with
super-huge pages on high-volume sites... but if you're worried, profile
it first.  Usually any sophisticated system has other much worse
bottlenecks.

* If the connections between steps are made with SAX events, then the
whole assembly is put together and executed as-is.  How the work is
broken down is up to the transformation engine (xalan, etc).

Jeff Schnitzer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[INVALID FOOTER]