Deploy in a clustered environment and bring down the cluster nodes one
at a time, upgrade that one, and bring it back online... You need a
server that can interact with your load balancer which sits in front
(either a hardware device or a plugin to a web server like Apache) so
that you can tell it you want to take node "A" offline and it will stop
routing new users to node "A" but will allow current users to continue
until they stop using the app and their sessions eventually time out....
Or implement session replication and just pull the plug and let them
fail over :-)

I know WebLogic provides this type of operational support, but you may
be able to get it in a cheaper server, like Resin, but I haven't
deployed in a production environment on those.

Jason