Hi Steffen,

jep, your recommended command "use user dba dba serverdb adb on dev-srv"
works, but gives the same error message about establishing a connection
using shared memory.

ERR -25004
A connection to the database could not be established: 1 = could not create
comm. shared memory [5].

and right, dbm is a DBM user, so i tried with a DBA user now.
thanks for that hint too.

but: if i connect to the server db from a remote machine using the very same
statement and the dba user then i could connect successfully. only from
local there occurs the problem with shared memory...

unfortunately, i need some other hint, some very, very important hint for a
specific
task ;-) (there's another thread on the mailinglist: Database migration from
ASCII to UNICODE)
i'm not able to export data from an ASCII db and import it into a fresh UNICODE
db.
meanwhilest i worked around this problem with setting up a new UNICODE db
instance
and created the whole db schema and master data from our countless sql scripts
on our development and integration servers, but if we want to go live with the
application
at our clients sites then we have to export/import the databases as there are
lots of
production data ...

thx so far!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,
Chris Jölly
Unycom Information Technology Services GmbH
Solutions for Intellectual Property Management
Tel.: +43-316-818 818-30