Hi Chuck and all,

In addition to the great resources Deb has suggested, two other leads:

The Association of Recorded Sound Collections, ARSC, has institutional
members who do audio A-to-D in-house but occasionally outsource those
services, and other members who provide those services as vendors. ARSC
has an active email list, which it may be worth hitting with a query
seeking off-list replies about prospective service providers. More at:

http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html

One lead to an audio digitization house: Sonicraft (sonicraft.com) does
very high-quality transfers of music recordings. This recommendation is
based on individual experience, not museum-related work. As we know, a
key factor in whether any given shop is a good candidate for a project
is the eternal tradeoff between transfer quality and cost, vis-?-vis the
amount and type of source material, how much quality matters, and
budget. Please ask me off-list if you'd like a lead to someone who may
have ideas for a specific project. As a LinkedIn user, you might also
see if you happen to have connections in the Audio Engineering Society
(aes.org) via http://www.linkedin.com/groups?viewMembers=&gid=71239 .

Re: storage media, in a word: yes, once audio is digital, physical
storage-medium aspects of preserving it are like those of preserving
other digital files. Re: metadata, the AES has developed some relevant
standards, and LOC digital preservation pages may be useful re: what can
be embedded in audio files of a specified format (e.g., WAV):

http://www.aes.org/publications/standards/
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000001.shtml

hope this helps!

Rob (recording engineer in a pre-museum-person life)
--
Rob Lancefield
Manager of Museum Information Services / Registrar of Collections