I kind of like thinking of sharing as marketing by another name. (A less
"traditional"one?)   Both are an investment in developing an income-producing
resource.

And there are museums with a real need to develop the revenue-producing
capabilities of their image (and other content) resources, in order to bring in
more income, so that they can remain viable and fulfill their missions.

 Any and all ideas or models for how to do this should be welcome.

Amalyah

?????: ??mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] ??? Virginia
Rutledge [virginiarutledge at yahoo.com]
??????: ????? ????? 06 ??? 2009 21:22
????: Museum Computer Network Listserv
??????: Re: [MCN-L] ??RE:  Re image 'theft'

Of course it's great to see CC put into the mix of this discussion!

CC-NC licenses are one way to reserve the museum's right to commercial
exploitation, where appropriate. But first comes the policy question, which for
nonprofits really is the same as the business model question, isn't it? What
rights are worth asserting, and on what grounds?

CC Zero is a legal tool that enables waiver of rights (and thus is not a
license per se). Some museums may find it appropriate to give up rights they
don't want to assert ( realize some may find that controversial, and solicit
feedback) and/or to proactively put out to the public certain images in which
others may inappropriately assert rights. Such as, I would argue, any
"straight" image of a work in the public domain to which image anyone claims
copyright.

Pulling in a comment from another thread, there are an increasing number of
studies that suggest that some sharing builds sales. But this may be genre and
content-specific, and there's just not a lot of data yet that an empiricist
could love. Sharing experiences among this list is thus a very valuable thing.

--- On Wed, 5/6/09, Amalyah Keshet [akeshet at imj.org.il] <akeshet at