Alan:

The difficulty is, even an economist can't prove a causal link between
"increased eyeballs on the images" and "more museum visitors."  You would have
to stand at the door and ask every incoming visitor "Are you here today because
you saw or downloaded an image of a work in our collection? Which one?"   It's
much easier and more convincing to prove a connection between a marketing
campaign, a special event, or some other datable cause and its measurable
effect (10% increase in entrance ticket sales between the ad campaign dates of
...).  It's also infinitely easier to prove a cause-and-effect connection
between an image sale, the receipt of a check, and it's deposit in the bank.

As for staff time saved, that's another assumption that disappoints.  It takes
a lot of staff time to tend, maintain, grow, keyword, and support a download
site -- and if it's successful, it results in even more requests for one-on-one
help with custom requests that require advice, negotiation, curatorial
consultation, and personal service.

Your comment about teachers is interesting.  My first reaction was, we are
delighted and relieved when they do their own scanning and respect our time,
which we need in order to accomplish our own institution's projects on
deadline. But that is simply an indication of the conflict that arises when the
same staff have to try and meet conflicting goals with the same limited
resources.

More to the point, most of both of our museums' images are probably in Google
Images by now -- Google Images is, after all, the universal "solution" in the
"cloud."   But I do agree with you that, in the best of all possible worlds, we
would beat out Google Images with better quality images (and certainly better
caption information) that people could search and discover effortlessly, and
download. And that would require a hefty monetary investment.  Back to square
one.

Amalyah

?????: ??mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] ??? Newman, Alan
[A-Newman at NGA.GOV]
??????: ????? ????? 28 ??? 2009 20:51
????: Museum Computer Network Listserv
??????: Re: [MCN-L] Image Licensing

And cheers to you G?enter.
Very nicely done.

If we are wrangled into translating the low/no cost distribution of images
of public domain works into a business plan we could calculate the
multiplier effect of dramatically increased eyeballs on the images,
especially in educational environments.  This leads to more museum visitors
which in turn leads to X dollars a visitor spends in shops, restaurants and
admissions. Then we estimate the staff time saved and the minimal revenue
lost  and graph it all.  A good economist could drive this into a believable
equation that demonstrates  more real revenue by open access. As Radiohead
showed in my music example, good will and doing the right thing actually can
work financially in the cultural community.

Think of all the teachers out there trying to scan our images from books
when faced with barriers to receiving good images for the classroom.
We want them to come to the source and have respect their time.

Amalyah,  we?ll discuss this all with G?enter in Portland.

Alan

========

Alan Newman
National Gallery of Art