For anyone within range of University of Maryland, College Park, who wants to
warm up for our MCN 2009 session in Portland, "More for Less:the e-Book
Revolution and Mobile Evolution".:

---------------------------

A MITH Digital Dialogue
Tuesday, November 3, 12:30-1:45
MITH Conference Room, Mckeldin Library B0135

?The Great Ebook Throwdown? with Ben Bederson, Nick Chen, and Matt Kirschenbaum

Ebooks are suddenly everywhere again. Kindle, Nook, iPhone, Android .
. . after 2000 years, the codex is getting an upgrade. But what kind of
electronic books and electronic reading devices do we really want?
This roundtable discussion led by Ben Bederson, Nick Chen, and Matt
Kirschenbaum will feature as many electronic reading and electronic book
devices as we can lay our hands on, including some prototypes being developed
here at the University of Maryland. We'll hold them up, pass them around, turn
them on, talk some trash, and, in the process, maybe gain just a little bit of
insight into what we all want from our electronic book readers. Attendees are
encouraged to bring along electronic?book and reading devices of their own.

Benjamin B. Bederson is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and the
previous director of the Human-Computer Interaction Lab at the Institute for
Advanced Computer Studies and iSchool at the University of Maryland. His
research is on mobile device interfaces, information visualization, interaction
strategies, digital libraries, and accessibility issues such as voting system
usability. ? He is also co-founder and Chief Scientist of Zumobi, a startup
offering a mobile content platform based on that research.

Nicholas Chen is a doctoral candidate in the department of Computer Science at
the University of Maryland and is affiliated with the Human Computer
Interaction Lab (HCIL) at UMD. He is advised by Professor Francois Guimbretiere
in the Cornell University Information Science Department. His research is on
electronic reading devices, pen-based user interfaces, and interactions for
supporting simultaneous use of multiple devices. Previously, he performed the
first-ever evaluation of a dual-display electronic reading device.

Matthew G. Kirschenbaum is Associate Professor in the Department of English at
the University of Maryland, Associate Director of the Maryland Institute for
Technology in the Humanities (MITH), and Director of Digital Cultures and
Creativity, a new ?living/learning? program in the Honors College.

--
Matthew Kirschenbaum
Associate Professor of English