From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Newman, Alan
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:48 AM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: [MCN-L] Bloomsbury Academic

Bloomsbury Academic is a  "new academic imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc,
one of Europe's leading independent publishing houses, with a distinguished
list of fiction and non-fiction. Bloomsbury Academic will publish world-class
research-based books across the humanities and social sciences, with a strong
commitment to the traditional virtues of scholarly publishing, including
rigorous peer-review. We use current technologies and licensing developments
and have established an innovative publishing business model that will better
meet the needs of the academic community."

excerpted from their business model:

"We're committed to publishing the best scholarship in the social sciences and
humanities - and for the content to be as widely accessed as possible.

Our research publications will be made available online on a Creative Commons
non-commercial license. Unlike open access journals we are not looking for
authors (or their research funders) to pay for the publishing process. From
early 2010 they will appear on our new platform in html. Until then PDFs will
be posted on this website. At the same time we will be publishing in
traditional print book formats as well as ebooks with enhanced functionalities.

The debate over whether or not free availability increases or decreases sales
rages on, not just in publishing but also in the music and film industries.
Pilot projects in academic publishing indicate that book sales are not harmed,
and authors are happy to reach a wider audience."

http://www.bloomsburyacademic.com/business.htm

posted by Alan Newman, National Gallery of Art