Just because it's interesting:

________________________________

Is Balance The Right Standard For Judging Copyright Law?

"For many years, I've pointed out that I tend to disagree with many folks --
who I otherwise agree with -- in copyright debates, who argue that we should be
looking for the "right balance" of copyright holder rights vs. user rights.
I've long thought that balance is the wrong way to look at it. The purpose of
copyright law is to incentivize the creation of new content, and thus the
standard on which copyright law should be judged is one where the creation of
content is maximized. As such, there shouldn't be a question of balance,
because the ideal situation where content is maximized should make everyone
better off..."

Amalyah Keshet
Chair, MCN IP SIG