From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Amalyah Keshet
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 4:06 AM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] IP SIG: LACMA's Magritte exhibit: This is not fair
use

Richard:

At first glance, the article contains quite a few mistakes regarding
legal issues.
Example:  "When we absolve curators of responsibility for defending our
fair use rights..."   Well, we do NOT have a fair use right to
photograph, without the artist's permission, works protected by
copyright -- wherever they are displayed -- except for certain very
limited purposes, and property, privacy, and contract law may indeed
preempt that.  Only a court of law can determine whether the purpose of
the photography was fair use or not. (And it could be argued that a
curator's repsonsibility is to keep his or her museum away from courts
of law.)

Yes, that's the problem with the fair use concept as currently expressed
in the US copyright code, but that's another article altogether -- one
that should be written by someone who does their legal research a lot
better.

While I sympathize with the fair use spirit of the article, one has to
get one's facts right in order to make a decent argument for
...anything.

I'm off to London for a museums copyright conference at the National
Gallery: Connecting Culture and Commerce: Getting the Right Balance
http://www.kdcs.kcl.ac.uk/mcg2007/index.htm, organized by Simon Tanner
and Naomi Korn and sponsored by the Museums Copyright Group.  I hope to
meet MCN IP colleages there -- yes? -- and I promise to report back to
the MCN constituency.

Amalyah Keshet
Head of Image Resources & Copyright Management The Israel Museum,
Jerusalem  akeshet at imj.org.il
Chair, MCN IP SIG   www.mcn.edu
Blog  www.musematic.net