Making Maker Space Programming for Museums Starts November 7.  Enroll
throughout the first week of class.

Sign up @
http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspace4museums.htm

Whether you are an Art, Science, History, Children's, or Natural History
Museum this class is for you.  Even if you don't have the space, budget,
funding, or staff right now,  this class will benefit you. You will get an
opportunity to plan your Maker Space and network with others who have or
are in their way to creating a place and programming.

 Much more than a make it and take it, Maker Spaces provide the tools,
instruction, and company of others that inspire and enable creative making.

Just a few comments from Past Museum Staff Participants:

*I now have a much better understanding of the variety of making that can
be done in a maker space (it's not just electronics and robotics.) -As well
as the value of high quality materials and giving people choices.*

*I have a much clearer understanding of all of the possibilities for a
Maker Space. We are already doing many aspects of it, with a focus on arts,
and I am excited to use my new knowledge to advance our offerings to
include more science, engineering, and math. This has been perfectly timed,
as I am currently developing a plan to better utilize our second floor.
Thank you!*

*STEM is one area where I feel our museum is lacking. We have a strong
focus on Art, but the other areas do not get a lot of attention. In this
unit I have learned that those are areas we need to ramp up our attention
if we want to engage a larger number of our visitors. I loved the example
from the Exploratorium on the Valentine's Day themed "group build." The
chain reaction "machine" with visitors contributing to various sections of
the whole was impressive. I would love to do something similar for one of
our "Mix'd Media" evenings for young adults. The reminders for "safety
first" were excellent.I would use this week's information when planning a
space, either temporary or permanent, and when designing an activity.*

Participants will receive excellent resources that they can begin using
immediately to plan and present a Maker-station and Space program of their
own.

*Online Workshop 12 hours Overall ( A non-credit Thank you for
Participating Certificate will be distributed to those finishing the 4 week
workshop)*

*Access the workshop at your own convenience 24/7.  Ask about Group
Discount.  Museum Invoice Accepted or Pay on the Secured Site below through
PayPal.*

Unit 1-This week we will explore the definition of MakerSpace. We will look
at specific examples in various libraries and museums and begin to learn
how to create one yourself in your own space.

Unit 2-Week 2 we will continue to look at techniques for creating a
maker-station, tools and supplies you will need, and how to locate
materials and experts to facilitate programming. Safety issues will also be
addressed.  You will also explore designing space and skills that
participants might learn?

Unit 3-The best of Makerspace programming ideas. This week we will look at
museums that have been successful in creating effective workspace
programming. What do they know, that will help you?

Unit 4-Sorting programs using Age, Interest, and Budget as a factor. Create
a MakerSpace program idea proposal.

Instructor Valerie Colston, M.A. (BA UCSD) is a university art instructor
and author with many years of experience developing and presenting art
programs. She has taught 100 Art Ideas for Teachers at the University of
California, Extension in San Diego, California and a variety of Art history
courses online through colleges and universities. Her book *200 Projects to
Strengthen Your Art Skills* published by Barrons Educational Series has
received outstanding reviews appearing in School Library Journal, National
Art Education Association newsletter, and more. Her "It's Easy to be a
Green Teen" appeared in the youth librarian publication Voices of Youth
Advocates.  Colston is the author of*Teens Go Green! Tips, Techniques,
Tools and Themes for YA Programming*. Libraries Unlimited Professional
guides for Young Adult Librarians Series was published in December 2012.
Both books have been at times on the Bestseller list on Amazon in their
respective catagories.  Her artwork was included in a juried group show
titled *HOME*at the Orange County Center for Contemporary Art.
This is a non-credit workshop  *located
at http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspace4museums.htm
<http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspace4museums.htm>*

*For more information Contact-Valerie Colston cra...@artmuseums.com
<cra...@artmuseums.com>*

Sign Up Today.  Workshop starts November 7, 2016. This is a 4 week online
workshop is $79.00 (USD)  UK, Canadian, Australian and other currency
accepted on the Pay Pal secure website.
You may purchase the class through pay pal below or if you prefer an
invoice contact me at art...@hotmail.com or cra...@artmuseums.com  School,
Museum and Library checks are also accepted upon approval.

Sign up http://www.artmuseums.com/makerspace4museums.htm