Zip compression should not harm the file but unless it is your intention to
bundle many files into one, I would not chose it over using an internal
graphics compression scheme.

Your TIFFs may already be compressed internal, using LZW or Packbits. If so,
zipping them will not reduce the file size and may even increase it. LZW is an
internal standard for TIFF files. Both schemes are lossless. I use LZW
routinely and never have a problem.

I just did a quick test on a very large, uncompressed TIFF. Zip compression was
only slightly more compact than using internal LZW compression: A 105MB
uncompressed TIFF compressed to 56MB with LZW and 52MB with Zip.

Other more aggressive strategies would be to convert to PNG or JPEG-2000
lossless. Both use internal “lossless” compression, though some question
whether PNG is truly 100% lossless. PNG is widely recognized now, but JPEG-2000
is rapidly become an archival standard. JPEG-2000 (entirely different from
plain JPEG by the way) is NOT universally recognized by graphics software.

My PNG test compressed to 52MB, the same size as the Zip file.
The JPEG-2000 “lossless” was 38MB.